Today was my first time in the darkroom since June and oh boy did it feel good. A lot of people hate the scent of darkroom chemicals; I’m not saying I love them but they do bring the feeling of excitement and familiarity once the scents of the fixer and developer hit my nose.
These are my first two darkroom enlargements since being back. Though the images seem simple enough to enlarge, it took me 3.5 hours to complete them both. When I went to purchase film for this shoot I asked the person behind the counter for 100 speed film and didn’t realize till after I’d already shot the roll and the model left that it was infact 400 speed (I still love the woman behind the counter though. she’s hella sweet).
I frantically searched the development time for pulling T-max 400 two stops. Luckily I found out I had to process for 6 minutes and 45 seconds. For those of you that are unaware, when you pull film it causes you to flatten the image contrast, so to fight that I agitated the roll excessively to build contrast and bring details to the highlights (all shadow details are completed within the first minute or so of development but highlights take more time since that’s where the majority silver on the negative accumulates). The negatives came out great but that’s not where the issue came in.
I lit these photographs using two Profoto heads on the same packs and both on full power. I didn’t pay enough attention to the decimal numbers on the light meter when I metered because both shoes were ever so slightly exposed differently. Though slight, it was noticeable, so dodging and burning them to be the same and in addition burning in the heals of the right feet (they were a bit over exposed compared to the toes on both enlargements) took so long.
Over all I’m truly happy with the results. Hope you guys enjoy!
And thank you Dina for modeling for me!